Tuesday, November 21, 2006

What was your Dream?

View of White Bear Lake

I remembered as I was thinking about "Under the Ledge", that when I was in my teens, a dream was to build a house on the wildlife area overlooking the Peshtigo River not far from Harmony, WS. I could sit on the deck and watch the ducks and geese come and go, watch the deer play in the Red pines that I had been planting with my dad for 10 years, and fish in the pond that I was going to build to hold privately stocked fish. I was going to dam a creek and flood a small valley to create the pond. The pond would have been 20' deep at its deepest point. There is a spring in the creek, so the water would have stayed cool also. I would also be retired by the time I hit 40 as I considered that "old" then.

I am slightly older now, but not as old as sand, and this thought of the house on the wildlife area came up. I started thinking about that dream, and where I live now. There is a quest house, a pole barn and the newly remodeled home with a view of the wildlife area. The wildlife area is a large area of marshland between 2 lakes - White Bear Lake and Bald Eagle Lake. There is a wet water creek that runs beside the property into the wildlife area. The other day, I came out to the pole barn, and there were 5 deer munching grass and leaves in the back yard. Every spring ma & pa duck return, they are Mallards, to nest in the fringe of the yard, squirrels are numerous, birds are colorful and of many varied species even the Pileated Woodpecker visits the feeders, and all of it is visible from the screen porch just completed on the house. While the location is different, and the Peshtigo River is hours away, there are a lot of aspects of the earlier dream of 40 years ago and today that are same or similar.

The career path has altered from the high school years, to what is done now. The dream then was to be a forester or forestry engineer and instead the chosen field turned out to be as a carpenter and then a cost estimator.

Now I plan to work until 80 or so, as I want to keep active, it may be part time, or it may be like Jimmy Carter and be involved in a lot of charity work, but the idea is just to keep active.

What was a dream of yours in high school and how has it changed?

3 comments:

Jim Wilkins said...

I had fun penning it quite quickly. Life is about creating our dreams by aligning our thoughts to what we desire. I watched the movie, "The Secret" and that spurred a memory of that dream for long ago. I was amazed and yet not surprised to see the parallels that had occurred. The mind is a powerful force, and we can and do create exactly what we think about.
When we want to change the world, we need to start with our thoughts and what we think about which changes our perceptions and our life.
Thanks for stopping by, and have a happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

jj

Enemy of the Republic said...

Later, I will answer that in full. I just want you to know that I will still visit until this mess passes.

Daydream believer said...

My dream was to have the white picket fence life, get married and have babies. Now, my dreams are evolving into other areas. Funny isn't it? what you described is so beautiful...I promise I will watch that movie soon. I know you mentioned it earlier. I am smart enough to know that when people come into your life and present new ideas that we should at least consider them....Have a great thanksgiving my dear. (Turkey is soaking in the brine as we speak also!)

Good Eats!