Friday, November 10, 2006

The Guard Dog

Often in this world and day we expect something to happen "right now!" or overnight, like at a fast food place. We pull up, place the order, drive thru and expect quick service. But we have learned fast is not exactly healthy for us. It takes practice, patience, work, and intent. So often when I have tried something new, I expected the same results. Now, I would recommend staying the course for at least 40 days. I choose 40 as a number for several reasons. It carries with it mystical qualities amongst others. Noah was a drift for 40 days, Jesus walked the desert for 40 days, and the list goes on. 40 is symbolic with an awakening of the inner spirit, and resurrection of self.

For instance many years ago, I had an opportunity to practice this. I was working with an employer that had a guard dog that was 3/4 German Shepherd and 1/4 wolf. He was trained as an attack dog but washed out of the school as uncontrollable. Being trained as a police attack dog, he was trained to go for the crotch of his target. I was familiar with the dog but kept my distance, and he became MY teacher.

One day, I was talking with my foreman, and the dog came thru the door with the owner, and instantly he launched himself at me, barking, growling, and teeth bared. He ripped my pants open from crotch to knee and left teeth marks along the tear. His teeth were dull, as he liked chewing rocks, so it was not a bad wound. The dog backed up and continued barking as I backed out of the area.

Then a couple of days later, it was a repeat performance. The owner was going to cage him, and instead I suggested that he tie him on a short lead and set up a picnic table just out of the chains reach. My goal was to become trusted by the dog, and to trust him. For the next 45 days, I ate my lunch at that table. I always packed a double lunch. I made 2 sandwiches, packed 2 cookies, and double on the snacks. My wife thought I was a nuts, as she would just stay away from the dog. For the 1st week or two, the dog did more growling and barking than anything. I even made sure I came in on the weekends to maintain the contact. As the days melted away, I moved the table closer and eventually the dog was eating at my feet and allowing me to stroke his back.

I was just reading online about Shadow Animal Totems and how some are sent into our lives so that we can confront a fear. Several dogs had bitten me when I was a child, and had developed a fear of large dogs. This dog being my teacher taught me to trust myself, stay the course, to give love and honor to all living creatures. The transformation was awesome to behold.

I have a great story to tell my grandchildren also.

2 comments:

Daydream believer said...

But master, this requires patience...

Unknown said...

That was a wonderful experiment you did to overcome your fears. Today I have been going through your blog to spend or waste my time by enjoying what I do. I feel that I have achieved by reading your blogs.
Coming back to your blog, I read a similar story in a book on Buddhism. A monk was faced with a unique situation of facing a violet dog which was running towards him. Unlike many others who run away from fear he decided to run into the dog as fast as he could. The dog could not understand this strange situation and the dog turned around and started running away from the monk. The moral is face your fears headlong and they run from you. It is similar to a quotation, on your site, I laugh in the face of danger... then I hide until it goes away.
-- Xander Harris.
Keep blogging.

Viswa from India