Saturday, November 04, 2006

Tractor Time



Since this is the fall and leaves are in abundant supply, I tend to get in a lot of “tractor time” which in rural terms is riding a tractor tending the fields, mowing, cultivating, plowing, cutting hay, baling hay, and spreading manure. My tractor time at this time of the year is mowing and sweeping the yard for leaves. When younger, this was work where one could do a lot of thinking and contemplate stuff.

Today was I was contemplating a lesson of 40 years in the making. My parents taught me; to always keep an open mind to anything being possible, see the forest for the trees, but also see the trees, to always challenge what you believe, and always go to a contrary source to verify something. If it was absurd, it probably is, if too good to be true, it probably is, and you can make of your life what you want it to be. You are capable of anything your mind can conceive. God helps those that help themselves, and to always help others.

When I was 9, I had a crop garden and sold produce to a grocery store in town. The 1st crop to be harvested was peas, and the earlier you got them to the store, the higher the price. I would plant early and sometimes it would snow on top of the newly planted seeds, but in this particular year, it did, but there was a crop to the market before anyone else. My wallet was loaded with greenbacks.

My parents decided to take us to a fair in central Wisconsin, and I brought along my wallet. Dad suggested instead of carrying it, I leave it in the glove box and he would lock the car, and only take what I wanted to spend. I took 5 dollars and he locked the car. Towards the end of the fair, I wanted to get more money, and dad gave me the keys. Upon opening the glove box, I found the wallet was missing, and I could not figure it out. Dad went to look and he was perplexed, but said someone must have jimmied to lock and taken it.

My dad made his transition 10 years ago and I wanted the tools of his, as they meant a lot to me. He had toolboxes, and really nice ones just loaded with tools. I brought them all home, and started going thru them over the last several years. Last year, as I was going thru one, I found the wallet that I had lost at 9. I was perplexed, but was also very happy, as there were some pictures in it of my sister and I taken from my old camera. Was this the same wallet? My memory says yes, most likely, but it may have been another also. I could argue this out and still not come to a solid conclusion.

The other evening, I heard a comic talking about perceptions and truth. I have found that a lot of times, a good comic will have some wisdom in his words. He was remarking about something that happened 1500 years ago, and how people were lining up on one side or another. He then commented that there can be diverse opinions, just look at the Kennedy assasination and we have film of what actually happened, and we still disagree!

That reminded me that how I view something is entirely up to me. I can choose to see the glass half empty, or half full. Unless you realize the glass is always full. For me, life is easier and I am happier when I choose to look at the positive aspects. My dad had a lot issues from WWII, but at the same time he taught me some really good lessons on how to view life. The wallet brought back a lot of memories of those lessons and I am glad to have the pictures and the reminder to keep a positive outlook on life. That is a priceless gift.

1 comment:

Jim Wilkins said...

Yes, seeing the glass as half full does take some practice. There are moments that there are challenges, but with each passing day, it becomes easier to do. Mostly, it was changing my perception, and seeing problems as gifts, lessons, and opportunities to learn from.
Before I could be in a funk for days, and did not like how I was feeling. Then I learned that I create my world as I see it, so I learned to be careful of what I think. With 60000 thoughts, that is challenging enough, but when I learned to pay attention to my feelings and heart, then I could see where my thoughts were going.
The true optimists though see the glass as full at all times. It appears only half full of water, but it does contain air. Thus it is always full.