Saturday, March 24, 2007

Spring



I LOVE spring. It has become my favorite season of the year. The promise of newness, or rebirth, the awakening from a long winter’s nap; all of these things contribute to the excitement and wonder of spring.

It is the unfoldment, the change, the mystery of Life all wrapped up into one glorious season. No two days seem the same.

The daffodils come and go so quickly. One day seemly out of nowhere there is a chorus of a thousand frogs at night by the creek in back of my house. The little green nubs on the trees are nubs one day, leaves the next. The clouds part, the sun warms my skin, green happens and all is well with the world.

Truly, it is the change I see happening before my very eyes that captures my imagination.
There is something within us that seems to know that change is the nature of the Universe. Life, from birth to death, is a constant flow of change. So if change is the nature of the Universe, being a part of the Universe, it must be our own nature as well.

So, if I am so enamored of spring, and of the change that comes with it, why am I wearing a pair of slippers that are literally falling off of my feet when I have a new pair in the closet? Why do I take the exact same route to my office every day? Why do I say “no” to opportunities to do something different, something I have never done or that stretches me beyond my comfort level?

Why do I struggle so hard when it comes to change in my own life?

In Truth, I struggle much less than I used to. Here’s why; We accumulate along the way thoughts, ideas and beliefs about the way our lives should be, at what life should look like. Many of these beliefs are limiting, and keep us much smaller than we were designed to be.

Almost without exception when I try something new, despite my fears or hesitation, I find myself having a good time. Wow, having fun in life! See, even this goes contrary to some of my own old beliefs; that life is hard, it’s a struggle, you have to work hard to succeed, to keep up with the Jones’s. Those old beliefs no longer serve me. They are no longer my Truth.

I am beginning to believe that this process of becoming conscious is much more one of UNlearning than one of learning new things. As I unlearn my old beliefs, the ones that limit my experience of life, I make room in my mind and heart and soul for a bigger Truth to emerge, a Truth that I think we are all born with.

I am beginning to see that perhaps the Universe has a different idea for my life than I have accumulated along the way. In fact, my life looks radically different than I thought it would at this point in the adventure. I am finally ok with that, because I have come to realize that I have two choices; I can learn to go with the flow, to trust the Universe that It knows where it’s going, to follow where I am led, or I can choose to struggle, to fight change, to cling so tightly to my own limited ideas of how things should be that I leave claw marks on everything and everyone along the way, and in the process make myself and everyone around me miserable. I do have that choice.

If the Creator has it together enough to hang the stars in the sky, to create the beauty of Nature, to Gift to us the wonder of love, of Life Itself, maybe It is trying to express Itself in my life in a bigger way than I can conceive.

So today I am consciously paying attention when I feel a cosmic nudge towards change, towards trying something new. Today I remind myself that I am a microcosm of the macrocosm that is the Universe, Nature, God - call It what you will. I exist within It, am created of It, and am here in this planet to express It as fully as I possibly can.

Today I remind myself that spring doesn’t just happen around me, it happens within me. It IS me. I open my mind and heart to the same awe and wonder in my own life that I see in Nature, throwing off all old thoughts of lack and limitation.

Do the trees worry that they will have enough leaves? Do the birds wake in the morning and go on some mind trip about accumulating enough worms? I think not. I think they just are what they are; amazing, beautiful, ever changing embodiments of Divine Life. Just like me.


Jeff Anderson, RScP / SpiritAsJeff@aol.com
Licensed Spiritual Practitioner/Counselor
www.SpiritPathCounseling.com

6 comments:

Enemy of the Republic said...

My goodness, I need to visit more. You are good for me.

Katie McKenna said...

mmm... Wondrous post! Thank you!

I love Spring. Although the truth is that I love all Seasons! Spring is NEW change, full of hope and possibilities... Summer is a warm caress ...time of travels... and heat that bakes out the mischief for awhile, Fall.... shedding of the old.... through a fabulous metamorphosis..a beautiful celebration of death to come... simply part of life's cycle... Winter, a somber time,a joyous time, before being decorated and feted...the cycle is complete through death......and hence I am reborn again. :)

It is true we need to unlearn "things" so that the portals will open for an exchange of energy.

I can barely keep my eyes open! G'night!

Jim Wilkins said...

I love all seasons also. But fall is by far my main love. When we think about it, there is death and new life happening in all seasons. Tulips bloom and then disappear in the spring/summer waiting for the next year. In the fall, as leaves fall, new buds are readying and setting themselves for the next year. Animals hibernate, and while hibernating give birth to new in preparation of the next cycle of life. There is life happening all around us, in each new moment.

Sometimes to unlearn something is our greatest fear, as it requires us then to question our beliefs and who we think we are. We would rather stay where we are, regardless of the pain, that take the risk of stepping into the unknown.

Instead, be a butterfly. They grow out of the old into the new while in the cocoon. They do not fight it, they just grow. And we can do that be being open minded to possibilities and knowledge. As we gain knowledge, we start questioning and growing into the new. Life is GREAT!

Katie McKenna said...

Gypsies are like Butterflies :)

The cycle of life does happen every day, many times. There are so many cycles within the big cycle. This is a good thing as the cycle offers many possibilities in being.

Life is great - Yessss!

QUASAR9 said...

I am beginning to believe that this process of becoming conscious is much more one of UNlearning than one of learning new things.

Six of One half dozen of the other
All the time we walk or oscillate between what may be possible and what not, what we are told (belive)is possible and what not, or what can be possible and what not.

Nothing was ever done, by anyone who did not believe that he could do (or achieve) what he wanted - and equally just because one believes something is possible does not make it so ...

All the same, it is indeed good to remember the birds in the sky do not worry where to sleep or where to eat - and solomon in all his finery could not match the beauty of their dress.

QUASAR9 said...

Watched little 2 (the film) today
Bot so Strange to see the mouse (little) and the bird, talk & play