Thursday, April 05, 2007

Swingin" on a Hook









The movie, “The Secret” and the Law of Attraction have been the buzz and talk on many talk shows, radio, as well as in the newspaper, books and discussed at many church groups for the last few months. It seems everyone has an opinion on it and does it work or not. What the law of attraction is really saying is what we focus on or “lock onto” with our thoughts is what we will see manifested or appear in our lives.

Some folks think of ships carrying their treasures, with such statements as “when my ship comes in a” My dad used to say “Someday when my ship comes in I’ll…………………” I never knew what was on his ship, as he never finished the sentence for me and it did not appear to come in. Maybe it did, and he had sought some other “treasure” than I was used to seeing when younger. For me, that ship at sea with its cargo traversing the choppy seas in storms and tempests was the law of attraction. Maybe someday, it would make its way to me. I had become my father, “Someday when my ship comes in I’ll….”

A couple of years ago, I was in Portland, Maine on vacation and took a tour of the harbor by land and by sea. The sea phase is the Lovers Lighthouse Tour, and the seas being choppy while I was there we never left the harbor! But it is a huge harbor. We did see many lighthouses, sailing schools training people to sail, and sights of local interest. The skipper gave us good explanations of what we were seeing, and off in the distance were several freighters that were on the horizon, seemingly at anchorage.

In the harbor I saw crab fisherman tending nets, colorful crab buoys, the old forts to protect the harbor during WWII, numerous smaller lighthouses, huge gun batteries on shore, sailing schooners, and islands used by permanent residents as well as tourists. But what struck me was the skipper’s description of the freighters on the horizon. He referred to the freighters as “swingin’ on a hook” as they were just outside the harbor anchored and waiting for favorable prices for the goods that were in their holds. The country or business they were here to deliver the goods for was in phone contact with the freighters skippers, and they would issue the order to proceed to dockage to unload the cargo when prices became most favorable for them. Until then, they rested at anchor - or “swingin’ on a hook” in nautical terms, the anchor being the hook. Once the order was given, then the freighters would pull anchor and head into the harbor, dock, and unload their goods to the warehouses, etc.

At this point, the light bulb clicked on for me, (an “ahah” moment) as realization dawned that this is the Law of Attraction in principle and how it really works. My dad used the ship at sea and someday it would pull into port analogy, but in all practical sense - that ship is a lot closer – a whole lot closer! Instead of the ship being off somewhere on the high seas, it is actually in our harbor or sphere of energy, and all we need to do is give the order to the universe to dock and unload. We are the owners and master of that freighter, and all that is required is for us to do is make contact, align ourselves with the Universe and allow the ship to dock and download its cargo.

9 comments:

Katie McKenna said...

It's definitely calming to look at water... bays, oceans, lakes, rivers... even rain..can be calming.

Too tired to really have input in your other blog tonight... read it, but everything jumbles. Took the horses over to a friend's house for his monthly visitation ( lawn mowers needed ). Sackett was racing around loving it. Unfortunately my batteries in my camera were dying about then.

Sweet dreams

Anonymous said...

great pictures! i've always wanted to visit maine but haven't made it to the northeast (yet). hope all is well!

Dr.John said...

Ypu know I have ordered the captain to dock four times now and that darn ship is till out in the harbor. DSomething about my river being to shallow.

Daydream believer said...

Your blog is beautiful...so uncluttered, unlike my own blog. I do appreciate the musings...and the pictures...grace abounds thee Jimmy James.

Happy Easter.

QUASAR9 said...

Hi Jimmy James,
great analogy!
Wishing you a mighty fine bright and sunny Easter Day

Jim Wilkins said...

Katie,
Being a piscean - the water is always calming to me. That is why I like kayaking and being close to water.

Ruby,

All is well, spring is late and now we are to get 5-7 inches tomorrow. Hey, I am talking snow - come on folks - lighten up.
Gheezzz

Dr John. me thinks you need to change your perception a little. The river is fine, your boat request is super tanker size. I know you are to dream big - but holy cow.....

DB, it is nice to see you stopped on over for a visit. Your blog is nice to vist also, as it is you and reflects the fun of raising kids. Brings back memories for me.

Q, I like the analogy also. It seemed to make sense and be kind of simple. I like KISS a lot.

Admin said...

i like notions of synchronicity a lot better. the secret is very materialistic and caters to the culture of consumption, at least in this particular manifestation.

if one wishes for a new car, and they get the new car...it's fine for the one who wishes for it (or shall i say "attracts" the car). but we need to pay attention to the concrete realities of how that car got to the wisher. someone needed to MAKE the car. certain materials needed to be used, etc..AND there are certain results that come about from owning that car. there's a whole chain of events that must occur....of which some might not benefit all those involved. to be blind to this chain of events is unwise and can be narcissistic. a very very dangerous conception.

i've seen the video of the secret, and the VAST majority of what the people were wishing for was so unnecessary to a balanced life. it's great for the culture of consumption, of the memememe mineminemine culture, but pays no attention to the effects on the environment (after getting all those cars, huge houses, vacations, stuff stuff stuff), the effects on people in other countries, the labourers producing the goods, etc..

do you think that if the starving people in the world were told to just wish for food and clothing and shelter that these things would magically appear??

i totally agree that if one has positive energy, then positive energy will often be generated back to them. but the secret takes it MUCH too far.

Katie McKenna said...

I am a Cancer baby. I used to be a water baby! Now, I'm more into mountains, lakes , trails less traveled - yet still with my family of 4 legged creatures.

Pisces puts you in Feb/March zone.

Have a beautiful day!

Admin said...

I will be password protecting my blog sometime within the next couple days. If you want to continue accessing my blog and want to obtain a password, please email me: vesper7@gmail.com.