Monday, December 24, 2007

Walking Quietly

An Old Tradition

Growing up in Northeastern Wisconsin, my parents taught my sister and me to always count our blessings and remember the less fortunate. The most important blessings of all are loved ones, family, and friends. Everything else could be replaced.

Each Christmas season, our family would make dozens of cookies and distribute them the weeks leading up to Christmas Eve. We would also go caroling the week of Christmas to neighbors in the community. Usually it was with an organization such as 4-H. 4-H is an organization that brings families, and young adults living in rural areas, small towns, and villages together as a community.

On the Eve of Christmas, there was one added tradition my parents would do. We would go thru our cupboards, clothes, games and whatever else we had and create a “care” package for one or two families that lived in the area. We would pack everything up carefully and go for a ride, leaving the packages anonymously at the front doors. One family lived by the road, so it was easy to walk to the door unnoticed, leave the package, knock, and leave. We would be well on our way by the time the door opened. I imagine that just our taillights would be visible in the blackness of the night. Looking down the person would sight the package and maybe realize that they had just been “gifted.”

Years later, when I was a single father of 3 boys, my doorbell would ring or a knock would be heard, as the boys and I were “gifted.”. By the time the door was opened – all that was visible were some bags of groceries and a gift card for the local grocery store. I learned it was not the bag of groceries, or gift card that meant the most. Yes, they were much needed at those times, however the warm fuzzies that were created was knowing that we were not alone and someone cared. It was a sense of community giving us a feeling of warmth - knowing everything would be ok and we were indeed not alone.

Out of those early experiences, I remember to count all the blessings received thru the seasons, and especially the challenging times and know that my life and those I love are and will always be blessed. As each new challenge is received, I remember to count my blessings, cherish my friends, loved ones, and as I honor my love ones in my life on Christmas Eve I remember those less fortunate; I knock, leave a package on a doorstep, and walk quietly into the night knowing that as I have given, I also have received. For that is what the season is really about – is the giving and loving each other.

Do you have any Christmas Traditions?

No comments: